Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 213
General Class Description
Under general supervision, applies knowledge and skill at the journey level to install and repair utility distribution systems consisting of tunnels and buried piping. The utility systems include steam systems, domestic water systems, hot water heating systems, compressed air systems, and chilled water systems.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Install, repair, troubleshoot, and maintain high pressure (90 psig or greater) steam reducing stations, expansion joints, steam meters, steam traps, steam valves, direct buried preinsulated piping systems, and pumps.
- Install, repair, troubleshoot, and maintain large diameter buried domestic and chilled water mains, valves, and fire hydrants.
- Install, repair, troubleshoot, and maintain hot water lines, valves, and expansion joints.
- Install, repair, troubleshoot, and maintain compressed air lines, air regulators, and valves.
- Install, repair, troubleshoot and maintain storm and sanitary sewers, manholes, and pumps.
- Weld using arc, gas, heliarc, and spot welding techniques.
- Perform distribution utility locates for domestic water, chilled water, air steam, storm sewers, and sanitary sewers prior to any excavation on campus.
- Draws layouts and construction record drawings; reads and interprets blueprints and drawings; reads and interprets specifications.
- Assist in arranging building shutdowns of all mechanical distribution utilities for emergencies and for routine maintenance.
- Determines jobsite work sequences and safety procedures required, procures materials, coordinates steam and water outages.
- Assist in directing the work of apprentices.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques used in the steamfitting trade.
- Knowledge of the tools and equipment of the trade and skill in their safe use, proper care and maintenance.
- Knowledge of welding techniques and equipment.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Knowledge of applicable building code requirements.
- Knowledge of proper lifting and bending techniques and ability to lift and carry at least 100 pounds.
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, and blueprints.
- Ability to plan and perform work involving the installation, modification, and repair of new and existing piping systems and equipment.
- Ability to work in areas designated as confined spaces in close proximity to energized utilities following OSHA confined space regulations.
- Ability to work in extreme temperatures and conditions.