Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 208
General Class Description
Under general supervision, operates and observes all power plant auxiliary equipment, pumps, fans, compressors, softener filters and operates boiler feed water make-up system. Assists with various boiler operation, maintenance, and material handling duties.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates and observes pumps, fans, compressors, and feedwater equipment.
- Reports maintenance needs and deficiencies.
- Performs maintenance functions such as: lubrication of equipment, clean up activities, painting and minor repairs.
- Assists Power Plant Boiler Operators, maintenance and material handling staff as needed.
- Checks boiler chemical tanks. Performs water titration tests and treats water accordingly. Regenerates water softening equipment as necessary. Records data needed to complete chemical and operational logs.
- Operates coal-transporting and ash-handling equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of power plant systems and equipment.
- Knowledge of plant safety and accident prevention measures required for operating and maintaining all heating and power plant equipment.
- Knowledge of the State Hazardous Chemicals Risks Right to Know Act.
- Ability to withstand constant high noise, dust, fumes, poor lighting and ventilation, and high temperature levels.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and operating manuals.
- Ability to lift 50 to 100 pounds.
- Ability to operate hand and power tools and test equipment
Two years of experience in Power Plant operation or an equivalent amount of formal training and experience in a related area.