Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Class Title: POWER PLANT ASSISTANT CHIEF OPERATOR
Class Code: 5431
Pay Grade: 211
Pay Grade: 211
General Class Description
Under general supervision, operates assigned turbine generators and switchboard.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Starts, operates and shuts down turbines; operates switchboard and regulates equipment according to readings.
- Purchases or reports the need to purchase additional power from outside sources; synchronizes equipment and controls purchase of outside power.
- Checks equipment for proper operation and requests steam from Boiler Operator when needed.
- Substitutes for Utility Worker or Boiler Operator as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of power plant systems and equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to lift at least 80 pounds.
- Ability to make decisions under emergency conditions.
- Ability to withstand constant high noise, dust, fumes, poor lighting and ventilation, and high temperature levels.
- Knowledge of chemistry and principles of rotating equipment.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Knowledge of the state Hazardous Chemicals Risks Right to Know Act.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and operating manuals.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations
- Ability to train and direct the work of other power plant employees.
Class SpecificationsAny combination of work experience in a Power Plant, or related experience that totals four years and includes one year of experience as a Boiler Operator or equivalent.
Revision Effective: Unknown
The tasks listed under the heading of Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities are examples of the variety and general nature of duties performed by employees in positions allocated in the class. The list is descriptive only and should be used for no other purpose. It is not intended that any position include every duty listed nor is it intended that related duties cannot be required.