Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision, assists with installation and repair of piping; performs preventive maintenance and maintenance duties in assigned areas of the utility plant as well as general carpentry work.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs and repairs piping for low pressure (less than 100 psig) steam, water and air systems, including piping of carbon steel, galvanized, stainless, copper and plastic. Uses flanged, threaded, glued, or soldered connections.
- Uses oxygen-acetylene torch and plasma cutter for cutting steel, stainless steel and other metals to fabricate chutes, base plates, brackets, etc
- Performs preventive maintenance duties including equipment rounds, checking and changing oil and greasing equipment, checking and changing oil and air filters, etc.
- Performs general carpentry work such as construction of concrete forms, pouring concrete and refractory, and general construction needs.
- Assists with maintenance of the following equipment:
- Coal and gas or oil fired water tube boilers including fans, blowers, grates, feeders, etc.,
- Steam turbines, pumps and related equipment,
- Hydraulic and compressed air systems including compressors, dryers, and regulators,
- Pollution control equipment including dust collectors, baghouses, centrifugal collectors etc., and
- Material handling systems including conveyors, bucket elevators, crushers, slide gates, chutes, coal transport vessels, etc.
- Completes site specific utility plant training program for Utility Plant Maintenance Mechanic I within assigned time period.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of utility plant systems and equipment.
- Knowledge of tools and methods necessary to maintain utility plant equipment and buildings.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations and the ability to comply with OSHA procedures.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn techniques of pipefitting.
- Skill in the cutting and fabrication of metal components.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn techniques of basic carpentry.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints, control system drawings and repair manuals.
- Ability to perform basic math computations.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to withstand constant high noise, dust, fumes, poor lighting and ventilation, and high temperature levels.
- Physical requirements: Must be able to move and lift at least 80 lbs. Must be able to climb stairs and work in an industrial environment.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent, and
- Two years experience in an industrial plant, process plant or utility plant maintenance environment with experience in rotating equipment maintenance, or
- A two-year, post high school technical degree in industrial maintenance.