Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision, is responsible for operation of power plant auxiliary systems and assisting Utility Plant Operator II personnel, and other employees, in all aspects of plant operations; as well coal and yard operations and limited maintenance activities.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate ash removal, ash handling, and ash silo unloading systems on solid fuel boilers.
- Operate manual and automated solid fuel boiler soot blowing systems.
- Operate coal and limestone handling equipment and systems; including various types of conveyors, elevators, dense phase systems.
- Clean and paint assigned work areas.
- Assist maintenance staff as assigned.
- Make rounds of plant equipment. Record equipment readings onto paper logsheets and/or computer spreadsheets and files. Alert appropriate staff of changes needed to equipment.
- Assist with operation of the following typical equipment or systems:
- Water plant equipment includeing iron removal system, demineralizers, zeolite softeners, wells and condensate polishers;
- Turbine generator auxiliary equipment including pumps, oil and air coolers, condensers, etc.;
- Turbine driven chiller auxiliary equipment including pumps, oil coolers, condensers, etc.;
- Boiler fans, grates, feeders etc.;
- Plant cooling or service water systems and pumps;
- Condensate return tanks, pumps and other equipment;
- Desuperheating water tanks, pumps and other equipment;
- Compressed air system including air compressors and dryers.
- Feedwater system pumps and deaerators
- Complete site specific power plant training program for Utility Plant Operator I, within assigned time period.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of power plant equipment, in particular auxiliary systems.
- Knowledge of tools and methods necessary to maintain power plant equipment and building.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations and the ability to comply with OSHA procedures.
- Skill in the operation of ash handling and sootblowing systems and coal and limestone conveying and unloading equipment.
- Ability to interpret and record machinery and equipment readings.
- Ability to prepare material samples for analysis.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and operating manuals.
- Ability to perform basic math computations.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Physical requirements: Must be able to move and lift at least 50 lbs. Must be able to climb stairs and work in an industrial environment.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Must have a high school diploma or GED, and
- Two years experience in an inducstrial plant, process plant or power plant, operating boilers, pumps, fans, conveyors or other similar equipment