Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 211
General Class Description
Under general supervision, is responsible for operation of power plant auxiliary systems and assisting Utility Plant Operator III personnel, and other employees, in all aspects of plant operations; as well coal and yard operations and limited maintenance activities.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- All duties of Utility Plant Operator I
- Operate solid fuel and gas/oil fired boilers, all typical equipment listed for Utility Plant Operator I, and other auxiliary equipment such as: precipitators, pressure reducing valves and desuperheaters.
- Provide training and instructions to Utility Plant Operator I personnel.
- Make rounds of plant equipment. Record equipment readings onto paper logsheets and/or computer spreadsheets and files. Alert appropriate staff of changes needed to equipment.
- Complete site specific training program for Utility Plant Operator II, within assigned time period.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of power plant equipment, in particular auxiliary systems.
- Knowledge of tools and methods necessary to maintain power plant equipment and building.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations and the ability to comply with OSHA procedures.
- Skill in the operation and adjustment of plant equipment.
- Ability to make decisions under emergency conditions.
- Ability to interpret and record machinery and equipment readings.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and operating manuals.
- Ability to perform basic math computations.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to provide training and instruction in operation of plant equipment, in particular boiler and auxiliary systems.
- Physical requirements: Must be able to move and lift at least 50 lbs. Must be able to climb stairs and work in an industrial environment.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Must have a high school diploma or GED, and
- Three years experience in an industrial plant, process plant or power plant, operating boilers, pumps, fans, conveyors or other similar equipment including a minimum of one year experience in the operation of coal and/or gas/oil fired water tube boilers and related plant equipment including pumps, fans, conveyors and other similar equipment, and.
- Possession of a license similar to the National Institute for the Uniform Licensing of Power Engineers (NIULPE) or State of Minnesota Second Class Engineer license or ability to become licensed within 6 months.