Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 213
General Class Description
Under general supervision, is responsible for the operation of remote thermal energy facilities generating steam and chilled water for outlying facilities. Operates and maintains all boilers, chillers and auxiliary equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate, inspect, maintain and repair chilled water production equipment including large over 250 tons, centrifugal chillers, absorption chillers, steam turbines, cooling towers, chilled water pumps and associated auxiliary equipment such as air compressors, dryers, pumps, heat exchangers, etc.
- Operate, inspect, maintain and repair package type gas/oil fired water tube and fire tube boilers, feedwater systems and steam systems along with associated auxiliary equipment including pumps, fans, etc.
- Repair and installation of piping systems including flanged, copper, threaded and plastic.
- Uses chainfalls, hoists and chokers to safely lift large heavy components into position.
- Perform water treatment functions including water testing, operation and maintenance of chemical feed systems and zeolite softener pretreatment systems.
- Perform leak tests, transfer refrigerants, charge machines and otherwise handle freon refrigerants according to EPA regulations.
- Performs minor electrical work (120 volts) as needed to disconnect, or hook-up, electric motor leads, solenoid valves, and other small equipment.
- Communicates with central utility plant operations to coordinate operation of remote facility production equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of power plant systems and equipment, in particular package boilers and chilled water production systems.
- Knowledge of tools and methods used to troubleshoot, repair and maintain chilled water production equipment, package boilers, and piping systems.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations and the ability to comply with OSHA procedures.
- Knowledge in principles of electricity.
- Skill in the operation of chilled water production equipment and package boilers.
- Ability to interpret and record operating readings.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints, control system drawings and repair manuals.
- Ability to perform basic math computations.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to provide training and instruction in the repair of production equipment.
- Physical requirements: Must be able to move and lift at least 80 lbs. Must be able to climb stairs and work in an industrial environment.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Must have a high school diploma or GED and
- Must maintain a valid driver license and ability to operate university vehicles and.
- Four years of experience in the operation and maintenance of gas/oil package boilers, large centrifugal chillers and absorption chillers and
- Must have the appropriate EPA approved certification to handle refrigerants, Type II (high pressure), Type III (low pressure) or Universal (low & high pressure) and
- Possession of a license similar to the State of Minnesota Second Class A Engineer license or ability to become licensed within 6-months.