Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision handles all bulk materials, such as coal, petroleum coke, biomass fuel, limestone and ash, coming in and going out of a university power plant site. Uses various conveyor systems, unloading systems and mobile equipment to move materials as needed by plant operations.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive all coal, limestone, and other solid fuel deliveries and direct all truck unloading as dictated by plant needs.
- eclaim solid fuels from storage silos or piles to fuel reclaim hoppers or perform maintenance of the piles by moving and compacting solid fuels to prevent spontaneous combustion. Solid fuel reclamation and pile maintenance is performed with large mobile equipment.
- Haul solid fuels from the long term storage silos or storage piles to the plant. Haul ash and other solid materials to an approved disposal site utilizing tandem dump trucks on public roadways.
- Operate ash silo unloading equipment to unload ash silos into contractors' ash trucks for hauling to the disposal sites.
- Operate conveying systems, including differing types of conveyors, crushers, elevators and other equipment to transfer bulk materials such as coal, limestone or other fuels from hoppers into plant bunkers or silos. Conveying systems are operated using control panels and personal computers interface.
- Perform minor maintenance and cleaning of all conveyors, chutes, gates, ash and coal handling areas
- Collect material samples such as fuel, limestone, and ash as directed and prepare them for analysis by an outside laboratory.
- Monitors and maintains material handling areas to minimize storm water runoff. Regrades piles as needed to minimize runoff. Maintains and sweeps hard surface roads in the material handling areas.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of material conveying and unloading systems.
- Knowledge of tools and methods used to clean and maintain coal yard equipment.
- Knowledge of appropriate methods for storing and maintaining coal piles.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations and the ability to comply with OSHA procedures.
- Skill in the operation of bulk material conveying and unloading equipment.
- Skill in operation of large mobile equipment and tandem trucks.
- Ability to work outside during inclement weather conditions.
- Ability to perform basic math computations.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Physical requirements: Must be able to move and lift at least 80 lbs. Must be able to climb stairs and work in an industrial environment.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Must have a high school diploma or GED and.
- Two years experience in the operation of large mobile equipment for handling bulk materials such as wheeled loaders, tandem trucks, tracked dozers, graders, sweepers, bobcats and other similar equipment and one year experience operating conveyor systems for handling of bulk materials, and
- Possession of a valid Iowa Class B Commercial Driver's License with air brake attachment.