Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 208
General Class Description
Under general supervision, maintains the grounds at the university golf course. May provide functional supervision to groundskeeping personnel as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates and maintains machines and equipment used in maintenance of golf course greens, tees, fairways, aprons, traps, bunkers, etc.
- Operates, including setting to fine tolerances, secondary equipment such as lapping machines, bed knife grinders, reel sharpeners, etc., incidental to maintenance of primary equipment.
- Determines the need for and applies herbicides, fungicides and insecticides on golf course turf.
- Assists the Golf Course Manager in scheduling of work and directs the work of time laborers.
- When gold course is not in operating, operates physical plant equipment, including trucks, tractors, end loaders, etc. in the performance of street, road and grounds maintenance; maintains and overhauls golf course equipment in preparation for next golfing season, including repairing and rebuilding of small engines.
- Responds to calls for emergency service, including snow removal, as required.
- May assign, coordinate and review the work of other groundskeeping personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and specifications.
- Knowledge of golf course maintenance techniques and proper course conditions.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and hand/power tools used in golf course maintenance.
- Knowledge of pesticide application, storage and recordkeeping as prescribed by state statute.
- Ability to schedule and assign work to others.
- Two years of experience in maintenance of golf course grounds, or any combination of training and experience from which comparable knowledge and ability can be acquired which totals two years.
- Must have successfully completed commercial certification tests (30T-Ornamental and Turf) for application of pesticides and eligible to be certified. May be required to successfully complete other commercial certification tests as required.