Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 203
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, performs custodial work required for the general maintenance of buildings.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs cleaning in all areas of a building.
- Performs cleaning of all floor areas such as vacuuming, shampooing, sweeping, mopping, stripping, scrubbing, waxing, and buffing.
- Cleans and polishes all bathroom fixtures.
- Cleans and washes all glass surfaces, ceilings and walls. The use of a ladder up to 12 feet in height may be required.
- Replaces light bulbs and cleans light fixtures, using a ladder as required.
- Makes beds and handles both clean and soiled linens. Refills holder of disposable items, such as soap, bathroom tissue, paper towels, etc. Cleans and disinfects beds, bedside tables, overbed tables, etc., and other equipment and areas.
- Reports breakage and needed repairs.
- Moves furniture, supplies and miscellaneous equipment; removes draperies and rugs periodically for cleaning; delivers supplies to various areas.
- Collects trash from receptacles throughout the building and empties it into various areas.
- Performs duties in the immediate exterior of building such as sweeping sidewalks, snow and ice removal at entrances, cleaning ash pits, cleaning debris from grounds and window wells, and cleaning exterior windows.
- Locks and unlocks doors as required.
- Assists in unloading trucks, unpacking, assembling, and moving equipment and furniture. Picks up and returns equipment for repair by maintenance. Delivers housekeeping supplies to designated areas.
- Operates high pressure, water-cleaning apparatus to clean and disinfect rug runners, hospital equipment and showers.
- Maintains inventory of linen and record of lined laundering; maintains inventory of custodial supplies, and keeps and prepares other records and reports as directed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of standard cleaning techniques and characteristics of surfaces to be cleaned, and equipment and supplies required.
- Ability to move furniture and objects in preparation for cleaning; to load and unload trash receptacles; to operate safely and properly care for power machinery; to use arm muscles in hand cleaning, mopping, and scrubbing for protracted periods of time; to work on ladders.
- Knowledge of proper bending and lifting techniques and ability to lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments including crowded public areas and high and low temperature areas.
- Knowledge of the safe use if chemical cleaning agents and possible hazards relating to environmental sanitation.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.