Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 205
General Class Description
Under general supervision, assigns, reviews, coordinates and inspects custodial activities in the area of assignment in accordance with established guidelines. Supervisor is available on short notice to assist in the resolution of problems.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Confers with supervisor and receives written and oral instructions concerning general custodial duties.
- Develops work schedules and directs and inspects daily work routine of other custodial services.
- Maintains inventory of linen and record of linen laundering; maintains inventory of custodial supplies, and keeps and prepares other records and reports as directed.
- Assists in planning procedures and work methods and advises or recommends revision for the purpose of improving the efficiency of operations and services.
- Performs custodial duties as required.
- Interviews and recommends the hiring of custodial personnel, as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of standard cleaning techniques and characteristics of surfaces to be cleaned, and equipment and supplies required.
- Ability to move furniture and objects in preparation for cleaning; to load and unload trash receptacles; to operate safely and properly care for power machinery; to use arm muscles in hand cleaning, mopping, and scrubbing for protracted periods of time; to work on ladders.
- Knowledge of proper bending and lifting techniques and ability to lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments including crowded public areas and high and low temperature areas.
- Knowledge of the safe use if chemical cleaning agents and possible hazards relating to environmental sanitation.
- Ability to lead, train and motivate employees.
- Ability to write and maintain routing records and reports such as employee attendance, supply usage, and repairs needed.
- Ability to read, write and follow directions.
- One year of custodial or related experience.