Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 208
General Class Description
Under general supervision, cares for and maintains flower beds, plants and shrubs applies chemicals to grounds, plants, and shrubs; operates and maintains equipment and performs other labor required to landscape and maintain grounds. May provide functional supervision to groundskeeping personnel as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all duties listed under Groundskeeper I.
- Applies pesticides, fertilizers, fungicides and insecticides using mechanized or hand equipment. Maintains records/maps of all areas sprayed and chemicals used and completes state records as required by state law.
- Identifies turf, shrubbery, and flower problems and determines chemicals to use.
- Calibrates sprayer/spreader equipment for appropriate dispersal rate of chemicals, mixes chemical solutions according to specifications.
- Prepares seed beds and performs seeding, planting and transplanting, including flowers, trees and shrubs, and lawns.
- Waters, weeds, hoes, sprays and removes dead blossoms in flower beds. Trims hedges and shrubs, digs up bulbs and transplants shrubs and trees; treats and controls plant diseases.
- Supervises the operation of a greenhouse; submits requisitions for seeds and supplies; germinates seedling plants, roots, cuttings and otherwise grows plants for the campus.
- May assign, coordinate and review the work of other groundskeeping personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and specifications.
- Ability to safely operate and maintain equipment and hand/power tools.
- Ability to apply various groundskeeping techniques to different work situations.
- Ability to satisfactorily perform a full range of duties such as spraying, pruning, seeding, sodding, fertilizing, weeding, transplanting, and trimming.
- Knowledge of proper safety techniques to be used in the operation of gardening tools.
- Knowledge of symptoms of plant diseases and appropriate treatment.
- Ability to lift.
- Knowledge of pesticide application, storage and recordkeeping.
- Ability to assign and direct work of others.
- Two years of experience operating the machinery and tools used in grounds work or any combination of related experience and education from which comparable knowledge and ability can be acquired which totals two years.
- Must have successfully completed commercial certification tests (30T-Ornamental and Turf) for application of pesticides and be eligible to be certified. May be required to successfully complete other commercial certification tests as required.