Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 208
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs routine duties in the maintenance, care and treatment of trees and shrubs. Work requires a general knowledge of tree maintenance, and the ability to climb trees and work from ladders. Position operates and maintains all equipment and tools associated with tree care and removal. May provide functional supervision to students and groundskeeping personnel.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Uses aerial bucket and/or climbs trees in order to prune and trim.
- Performs appropriate procedures to be used in pruning to enhance the natural form of trees and maintain the structural integrity of the plant structure.
- Inspects, removes, plants and transplants trees and shrubs as directed; fertilizes trees and shrubs.
- Operates equipment such as end loaders, truck mounted cranes, aerial basket truck, tree spade, brush chipper, truck tractor and sprayer, etc. Regularly checks and maintains tools and equipment used on the job
- Assists in the cabling and bolting of damaged trees.
- May assign, coordinate, and review the work of other groundskeeping personnel.
- Assists Arborist with tree inventory record keeping.
- Responds to calls for emergency services, including snow removal.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of proper techniques to safely climb trees and to work from ladders.
- Knowledge of pesticide application, storage, and record keeping as prescribed by state statutes.
- Knowledge of the natural shape and size of plants commonly used in the landscape.
- Knowledge of the horticultural principles and techniques necessary for the successful transplanting of trees and shrubs.
- Skill in applying appropriate procedures to be used in pruning and shaping as necessary to enhance the natural form of plants, to ensure plant longevity and to maintain structural integrity.
- Ability to cable and bolt damaged trees; and apply treatment to diseased trees.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and specifications.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and hand/power tools used in tree trimming.
- Ability to assign work to others.
- Ability to lift and/or move 100 pounds.
- Ability to maintain accurate records such as current tree inventory.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions and work at heights.
- Two years experience in tree maintenance or related work or any combination of related experience and education from which comparable knowledge and ability can be acquired which totals two years.
- Successful completion of commercial certification tests for application of pesticides and be eligible for certification, as required. May be required to successfully complete other commercial certification tests.
- May be required to obtain Commercial Drivers License (CDL).