Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 210
General Class Description
Under general supervision, position plants, transplants, and cares for trees and shrubs applying knowledge of tree and shrub species. May direct the work of tree trimmers, laborers, and students.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs and delegates duties in pruning, trimming, feeding, spraying, cabling, and the treatment of cavities.
- Supervises and assists in tree removal.
- Inspects trees and shrubs for insect infestation and diseases; treats and controls, or directs others to treat and control.
- Plants and transplants trees and shrubs; and supervises the operation of a small nursery.
- Operates equipment such as end loaders, trucks, tree spades, cranes, etc.
- Develops planting and maintenance care plans.
- Responds to calls for emergency services including snow removal as required.
- Develops and maintains tree inventory records.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of tree and shrub species and care.
- Knowledge of insects and diseases that attack plant material on campus.
- Knowledge of proper pruning and trimming techniques.
- Knowledge of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques, pesticide application, storage, and record keeping.
- Knowledge of cabling procedures.
- Skill in treatment and maintenance of trees and shrubs.
- Skill in pruning to enhance the natural form of trees and to maintain the integrity of the plant structure.
- Ability to design and implement programs for the long-term benefit of the trees on campus and for the aesthetic value to those who come in contact with the institution.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions and work at heights.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and create prioritized lists of job related tasks to be completed.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to safely operate equipment such as hand tools, chainsaws, tractors, tree spades, etc.
- Ability to lift and/or move 100 pounds.
- Three years experience in the care and maintenance of trees and shrubs.
- Successful completion of commercial certification tests for application of pesticides and be eligible for certification, as required.
- Successful completion of Certified Arborist exam or equivalent training and be eligible for re-certification, as required.
- May be required to obtain Commercial Drivers License (CDL).