Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 410
General Class Description
Under general supervision, assists in the operation of a greenhouse to produce flowers and plants used for teaching, research, and demonstration.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares soil mixes, plants seeds, performs root cuttings, and transplants seedlings and other plant propagation at proper times or as instructed.
- Cares for soil and plants as necessary: prepares soil mixtures; waters and fertilizes plants; prunes; and controls temperatures and ventilation of greenhouse(s).
- Instructs students regarding greenhouse procedures and may supervise student employees.
- Conducts tours and answers patron questions or directs them to appropriate personnel.
- Applies pesticides under general supervision of greenhouse manager.
- Loads and unloads supplies and plants from trucks and keeps greenhouses and related areas clean.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of horticultural plants and activities relating to culture and care and proper greenhouse environment.
- Knowledge of pesticide application, storage and record keeping as prescribed by state statutes.
- Knowledge of plant diseases and appropriate treatment.
- Skill in maintenance, care, and treatment of horticultural plants.
- Ability to lift or transport large containers of soil, sand or other materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to bend, stoop, and dig.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to use and care for gardening tools, equipment and materials.
- Two years of greenhouse or related work experience, or any combination of experience and education or vocational training from which equivalent knowledge and ability can be acquired.
- Successful completion of commercial certification tests for application of pesticides and be eligible for certification, as required.