Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 410
General Class Description
Under general supervision, operates a greenhouse and is responsible for the production of plants used for teaching and research or campus planting.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a proper environment for greenhouse plants; establishes watering schedule and controls humidity, ventilation, temperature and light.
- Plans and executes schedules for the propagation and planting of regularly stocked plants and others as requested by instructors or campus requirements.
- Selects, orders, and applies insecticides and fumigants; and maintains and operates greenhouse equipment such as sprayers, dirt grinders and steam cleaners.
- Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment and keeps all records required for effective operations of the greenhouse.
- Schedules and directs the work of temporary or part-time greenhouse workers; schedules tours, and provides general assistance and information to students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- May prepare and perform seeding, planting, and maintenance of campus flower beds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to lift or move large containers of soil, sand or other materials.
- Knowledge of horticultural plants and activities relating to culture and care and proper greenhouse environment.
- Ability to collect data and maintain accurate record for class and research activities.
- Knowledge of pesticide application, storage and record keeping.
- Knowledge of plant diseases and appropriate treatments.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to use and care for gardening tools, equipment and materials.
- Ability to plan, direct and coordinate the work of others.
- Four years of experience in the operations and maintenance of a greenhouse, or any combination of vocational training and experience from which comparable knowledge and ability can be acquired.
- Successful completion of commercial certification tests for application of pesticides and be eligible for certification as required.