Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 211
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs skilled and semi-skilled work in the maintenance,. repair and overhaul of farm and farm-related machinery, equipment, and vehicles for field research operations.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Constructs, modifies, repairs, and overhauls farm and farm-related machinery, equipment, and vehicles. Adjusts and calibrates all types of machinery.
- Examines machines, motors, gasoline and diesel engines, and equipment for operational defects and dismantles defective units.
- Reassembles, adjusts, and lubricates machines and equipment to insure efficient operation.
- Communicates service/maintenance needs and helps troubleshoot equipment malfunctions. Determines work that can be done "in house" or if machinery must be sent to an external repair shop.
- Fabricates, assembles, and installs sheet metal products and equipment for field research operations using fabricating machines, such as shears, brakes, bending rolls, and punches.
- Assembles, erects, and tests new experimental farm machinery and equipment. Observes, collects and records experimental data.
- Operates standard and specialized field machinery to perform cultural and experimental practices on field research plots, such as tillage, planting, and harvesting.
- May act as a crew leader and provide functional supervision and training to personnel as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the operation and mechanics of field machinery and equipment that incorporates the use of computerization, yield monitors, radar, global positioning, and other advanced farming technology.
- Knowledge of gathering and recording precision yield map data from equipment.
- Knowledge of the use of the hand and mechanical tools of trade, safe handling, and care of tools.
- Knowledge of proper lifting and bending techniques. Ability to move and/or lift up to 50 pounds.
- Knowledge of pesticide and fertilizer application, storage, and record keeping as prescribed by state statutes.
- Skill in the repair of automotive or farm machinery mechanics and equipment.
- Skill in driving large cumbersome farm equipment in the confines of research plots.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions and to work in confined spaces, low light areas, at heights, and with toxic chemicals.
- Ability to properly handle farm machinery that dispenses chemicals.
- Ability to use eye-hand dexterity in repair of machinery.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to lead and supervise other employees.
- Four years of experience in farm machinery repair and maintenance work, including technical training.
- Successful completion of commercial certification tests for application of pesticides and be eligible for certification, as required.
- May be required to obtain Commerical Drivers License (CDL).