Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 210
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs operations requiring a knowledge of livestock and/or crops used in research. Directs subordinates in completing projects assigned by foreman or superintendent.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs work and related operations using all types of implements, including tractor drawn, self-propelled and stationary types.
- Performs all types of repairs and overhauls of equipment required in crops and livestock research.
- Adjusts and calibrates machinery according to performance specifications.
- Acts as crew leader to be responsible for and provide functional supervision to the work of subordinates, at and away from the headquarters.
- Cleans experimental animal lots and buildings using power equipment.
- Keeps records of operations performed, materials used, harvester, or transported, and observes and inspects corps and/or livestock and field operations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skill in safely operating and maintaining farm equipment.
- Knowledge of farming methods and practices.
- Ability to spend long periods out-of-doors in varying weather conditions, walking long distances in the field, climbing ladders and working on roofs.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to lift 60 to 100 pounds.
- Knowledge of adjustments, repairs and calibration necessary for proper operation of farm machinery.
- Ability to make observations and inspections of crops and/or livestock, collects data and keep appropriate records.
- Knowledge of farm research methods and techniques.
- Ability to direct the work of subordinate staff.
- Knowledge of pesticide application, storage and record keeping.
- Five years experience with farm machinery and farm work involving livestock and/or crops research.
- Possession of state driver’s license or commercial driver’s license as required.
- Successful completion of commercial certification tests for application of pesticides and be eligible for certification as required.