Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 215
General Class Description
Under general supervision, designs, constructs, and repairs research machinery, equipment, and apparatus which is not commercially available. Provides functional supervision to other ERD Machinists as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs skilled work in the construction, fitting, assembling, and disassembling of machines and equipment using shop mathematics, charts, cables, and handbook formulae. Entails analyzing a variety of specifications, having knowledge of limits, tolerances and strengths of materials, mechanics, gearing joints, weights and volume.
- Consults in absence of foreman with faculty and staff members to obtain information and specifications relative to the mechanical, electrical, and structural requirements for equipment which is to be built.
- Reads and interprets working drawings, sketches, diagrams and blueprints, and prepares working drawings and blueprints for use by the ERD Machinists in the construction of equipment. Inspects work when completed as to correct specifications, dimensions and finish.
- Dismantles machinery and makes emergency repairs on critical equipment as needed.
- Performs lead and silver soldering, fusion arc welding, brazing and acetylene burning.
- Uses electronic and power equipment and other instruments.
- Assists in training apprentices as required
- Schedules and directs the work of ERD Machinists in foreman's absence, and determines priorities.