Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 204
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, produces all types of baked goods, using standardized recipes and performs other related preparation and sanitation duties as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares dough and bakes bread, rolls, biscuits, muffins and similar items.
- Prepares and bakes cakes, cookies, cobblers, pies, puddings, doughnuts, and other desserts.
- Prepares icings, toppings, fillings and sauces for baked goods.
- Operates baking machines and equipment such as scales, dough mixers, molders, proof boxes, ovens, fryers and bread slicers.
- Cleans bakery and baking equipment and machinery.
- Notifies supervisor of food and supplies needed.
- Maintains maximum standards of sanitation and safety.
- Assists in training and assist directing the work of food service workers, students and other employees assigned to the bakery area.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of safety and sanitation standards for large scale bakery operation.
- Ability to read, write and follow instruction.
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as lifting (50 pounds), bending, stooping for prolonged periods.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic skills, i.e., addition, subtraction, multiplication, division of whole and fractional numbers, count and decimal systems.
- Ability to convert standard unit recipes to desired quantity of product.
- Ability to maintain simple records of quantities of ingredients used and volume of production.
- Ability to provide on the job training in food preparation to lower level employees.