Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 206
General Class Description
Under general supervision, supervises and participates in the large-scale production of bakery goods and in the sanitation of baking equipment and facilities.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of doughs and in the baking of bread, rolls, muffins, biscuits and similar items.
- Supervises and bakes cakes, cookies, cobblers, pies, puddings, doughnuts, and other desserts.
- Supervises and prepares icings, toppings, fillings and sauces for baked goods.
- Prepares recipes for mixing of doughs.
- Estimates bakery needs and requisitions and maintains adequate supplies for baking operation.
- Trains personnel in the operation of baking machinery such as scales, dough mixers, bread molds, proof boxes, fryers and ovens.
- Maintains maximum standards of sanitation and safety.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Recommends equipment repairs or improvements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of safety and sanitation standards for large scale bakery operation.
- Ability to read, write and follow instruction.
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as lifting (50 pounds), bending, stooping for prolonged periods.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic skills, i.e., addition, subtraction, multiplication, division of whole and fractional numbers, count and decimal systems.
- Ability to convert standard unit recipes to desired quantity of product.
- Ability to maintain records of quantities of ingredients used and volume of production.
- Knowledge of scratch and gourmet baking.
- Ability to train, assign, delegate work to others.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques used in large scale bakery operations.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge and care of food service equipment.
- Ability to provide on the job training in food preparation to lower level employees.