Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 204
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, performs general cooking duties using standardizes recipes and performs other preparation and sanitation duties as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and cooks meats, fish, vegetables, gravies, cereals, soups, fruits, bakery products and other forms of food.
- Prepares and cooks food for special diets from recipes formulated by qualified personnel.
- Assists in on-the-job training and assist in directing the work of food service workers, students and other employees within area of assignment.
- Assists in the preparation of salads and desserts.
- Notifies supervisor of food and supplies needed. Checks in food and supplies as necessary. Maintains food production records.
- Cleans kitchen, kitchen utensils and equipment; secures refrigerator and freezer.
- Serves food as required.
- Maintains maximum standards of sanitation and safety.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to judge final food product for quantity (yield) and quality (color, taste, texture, etc.).
- Ability to determine the freshness and quality of raw and cooked food products by sight and taste.
- Knowledge of safe temperatures for serving food and storage of refrigerated and frozen storage of raw and cooked foods.
- Knowledge of principles of food sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to provide on-the-job training in food preparation to lower level employees.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.