Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 207
General Class Description
Under general supervision, supervises and participates in production of large-scale menu items, and in the sanitation of cooking equipment and facilities.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises, instructs, trains, plans and schedules the work of others in the preparation of large-scale meals and diets.
- Assists supervisor in the planning of menus as related to production of unit as required.
- Maintains maximum standards of sanitation and safety.
- Requisitions, receives, stores, freezes, labels, and maintains food supplies and related kitchen products.
- Reports deficiencies in quality of quantity of food supplies or kitchen products.
- Recommends equipment repairs or improvements.
- Tests new or revised recipes and recommends changes.
- Tests all prepared foods to maintain standards.
- Participates in preparing and serving menu items as required.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to judge final food product for quantity (yield) and quality (color, taste, texture, etc.).
- Ability to determine the freshness and quality of raw and cooked food products by sight and taste.
- Knowledge of safe temperatures for serving food and storage of refrigerated and frozen storage of raw and cooked foods.
- Knowledge of principles of food sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to provide on-the-job training in food preparation to lower level employees.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Knowledge of weights, measures and food measurement techniques.
- Ability to perform basic mathematics (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentage conversion to decimals and count) as related to calculating or converting units of measure for determining proper amounts of food ingredients for mass food production.
- Knowledge of food preparation, food presentation and transportation methods.
- Ability to estimate quantity needs and maintain food production records.
- Ability to plan, assign, and direct others in work activities.
- Knowledge of sources of food contamination and infection
- Knowledge of common safety practices and safe operation of equipment.
- Ability to maintain food production records.