Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 204
General Class Description
Under general supervision, assigns and coordinates the activities of food workers involved in set-up, food service and maintaining cleanliness of food service areas and equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and participates in the set-up if serving lines, beverage and condiment stations prior to meal serving.
- Assigns and reviews work on employees engaged on supplying and arranging of food, dishes, silverware and other supplies at steam table and serving stations.
- Monitors operation of food serving line and dining areas to insure that supplies of food products are adequate and of prescribed quality.
- Checks work area for employee attendance and arranges to fill in when necessary. Evaluates the work of student employees as required.
- Handles requests and inquired from customers pertaining to food service.
- Insures that food and other supplies are returned to the kitchen and recorded following meal service; and to work area/equipment is clean and orderly at the close of each day.
- Provides on-the-job training of employees assigned to food service unit.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of methods and practices of institutional food preparation and service.
- Knowledge of principles of food sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as lifting (50 pounds), bending, stooping, standing for prolonged periods.
- Ability to set up and monitor a food serving line in accordance with menu.
- Ability to train, schedule and monitor work of student employees.
- Knowledge of effective communication skills in order to handle customer concerns, requests or complaints.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic skills, i.e. addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, fractional numbers, decimals, etc.
- Ability to maintain records of quantities of ingredients used and volume of production.