Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Class Title: KITCHEN HELPER I
Class Code: 7081
Pay Grade: 203
Pay Grade: 203
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, performs routine cleaning duties in the food service area.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Scrapes, sorts and washes dishes, glassware, utensils, pots and pans.
- Operates and cleans dishwashing and pot and pan machines.
- Moves clean dishes, glassware, utensils, pots and pans and supplies to and from storage areas.
- Disposes of garbage, and cleans and sanitizes garbage can.
- Cleans and sanitizes food carts with live steam and detergents.
- Cleans kitchen equipment including refrigerators, stoves, hoods, vents, slicers, choppers and tables.
- Cleans and mops floors and cleans and washes walls.
- Cleans and sanitizes utility cabinets, lockers and the loading dock.
- Assists in arrangement of dining area equipment, supplies, etc., and in set up and clean up for special events.
- Assists receiving or storeroom clerk as required.
- Assists in on-the-job training of students and other employees assigned to the food service sanitation areas.
- Coordinates work of students and other part-time employees assigned to sanitation and food service areas.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to read, write and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Knowledge of operation and care of dishwashing machines.
- Ability to maintain a safe, clean work area.
- Ability to insure dishes, pans, glassware, and utensils are properly scraped or rinsed before placing in dishwashing machine.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationship with others.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to count, add, subtract and convert to decimals.
- Knowledge of principles of sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
Class SpecificationsAbility to understand and follow directions.
Revision Effective: 1989-07-01
The tasks listed under the heading of Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities are examples of the variety and general nature of duties performed by employees in positions allocated in the class. The list is descriptive only and should be used for no other purpose. It is not intended that any position include every duty listed nor is it intended that related duties cannot be required.