Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 207
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, performs duties involving the processing of meats and cheeses. Responsible for the proper care, storage, and issuing of meat and cheese products.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives, weighs, inspects, stores and issues meat and cheeses using arithmetic skills.
- Cuts, trims, bones, and shapes meat to required portions.
- Chops, grinds, or cuts meat for sausage, hamburger or stew.
- Cuts animal carcasses into standard cuts ready for cooking.
- Slices, dices and grinds cheeses.
- Keeps all equipment and facilities in an orderly, safe and sanitary condition.
- Maintains records on meat and cheese processing activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of all classes, grades, cuts, conditions and quality of meats.
- Knowledge of sanitation practices.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic skills, i.e. addition, subtraction, multiplication, division of whole numbers and fractional numbers, count and decimal system to weigh and issue meats and cheeses.
- Ability to cut and trim meats and shred cheese.
- Ability to stand and work in cold environments for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to maintain records and perform cutting tests.
- Ability to safely use and maintain a variety of meatcutting tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as lifting or transporting up to 50 pounds, bending, stooping and standing for prolonged periods.