Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 404
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, assists the members of the nursing team in provision of multiple types of patient care in in-patient and our-patient care areas. Their work requires familiarity with a wide variety of nursing procedures used in delivering patient care.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with patient admission, transfers, and discharges.
- Provides for patients' personal hygiene and comfort.
- Turns, positions and ambulates patients.
- Transports patients.
- Feeds patients, serves drinking water and nourishments, and records patients' intake.
- Assists patients with bedpans and urinals and records output.
- Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure.
- Carries out medical asepsis and cares for isolated patients.
- Performs simple diagnostic and therapeutic procedures such as enemas, preoperative preparation of the skin, collecting specimens, applying binders, etc.
- Participates in nursing care conferences; reports pertinent patient information and incidents to nurse in charge.
- Shares responsibility for preparation, proper use and care of equipment and supplies and for nearness and cleanliness of unit.
- May assemble equipment and supplies in preparation for various diagnostic or treatment procedures performed by physicians or nurse..
- Performs special duties as taught and directed by the nurse in charge.
- Cleans patient units, operating rooms and examining rooms dependent on the area of assignment.
- Ability to read, write and follow instructions.