Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 409
General Class Description
Under direct supervision performs physical therapy treatments as prescribed and assigned by a physical therapist.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as an assistant to the physical therapist when the physical therapist is performing tests, evaluations and complex treatment procedures.
- Carries out positioning and exercises.
- Cares for braces, prostheses, bandages and other active assistive devices.
- Observes and reports the patient's response to the physical therapist.
- Trains patients in exercises, ambulation and activities of daily living.
- Independently carries out treatment plans established by a supervising physical therapist.
- Maintains surveillance of environmental conditions within the physical therapy service.
- Participates in clerical and reception activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of physical therapy treatments such as heat and cold, modalities, massage, therapeutic exercise, gait training, electrical stimulation, biofeedback, wound care.
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology.
- Skill in the administration of physical therapy treatments.
- Ability to monitor and document patient responses to treatments.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisors, staff members, physicians, nurses, other healthcare professionals and students.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients and families.
- Completion of two-year program for physical therapist assistants that leads to an associate degree that has been approved by the American Physical Therapy Association.
- Licensure in accord with the Iowa Board of Physical and Occupational Therapy Examiners is required.