Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 205
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, operates and maintains machine in the performance of gathering and collating; cutting and trimming; or folding operations as directed by written job ticket instructions and/or oral instructions from supervisor. Provides functional supervision to employees in lower classifications within work area, as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Sets up and operates at least one major machine of bindery equipment: automatic collators, a perfect binder, folders, binding equipment, paper cutter, saddle stitchers and automatic stitchers with automatic feeders.
- Perforates and scores and is familiar with head-trimming and/or slitting attachments.
- Adjusts machine to ensure that the job is cut to required size in cutting operations; trims sheets printed in multiples to finished size, often to critical marks for bleed, etc; trims booklets, theses, etc.
- Makes some judgments relative to order, process and quality of work.
- Troubleshoots problems with equipment.
- Performs routine maintenance to machine including: oiling, greasing, adjusting, changing or sharpening blades, etc.
- Experiments with equipment to improve job quality, cost, and time involved to complete a job and makes recommendations for change to supervisor.
- Provides training and functional supervision of other bindery personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skill in operating bindery equipment.
- Knowledge of procedures for performing bindery operations.
- Ability to set-up, adjust, repair, and maintain equipment.
- Ability to train and supervise other bindery operators.
- Ability to properly use bindery equipment and supplies.
- Ability to read job tickets and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.
- Ability to work in adverse conditions such as dust, noise, and fumes.
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond to questions concerning completion time of jobs.