Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision, prepares films and layouts; processes and checks plates for offset printing.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates darkroom camera to produce negatives, positives, direct prints, duplicates, etc. Plots contrast range on photos and operates camera to produce halftones (screened negatives) on film or PMT. Must judge copy and determine exposures; mix chemicals to exact formula specifications, adjust temperatures of processing solutions, etc.
- Prepares layouts for presses. Strips negatives and halftones into plates, opaques film, checks impositions and runs proofs as needed.
- Processes presensitized plates for offset press. Completes quality checks, files negatives and delivers completed plates.
- Operates the Direct Image Platemaker. Rules position sheets for offset press.
- Prepares records of plate preparation.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in platemaking skills and technology.
- Rules up sheets for Cutter Operator.