Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision, is responsible for proofreading and modifying copy to conform to appropriate electronic/digital press equipment. Duties include preparing layout and design upon request of customers, scanning artwork and color correcting images. Printed documents may include static or variable data items such as brochures, posters, flyers, booklets, books, magazines, newsletters, etc.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilizes Windows and Mac platforms as well as related software and technologies to create and/or edit artwork/text and perform required manipulation of supplied electronic files in order to make them production ready.
- Scans artwork and photos to specific sizes, resolutions and formats. Color corrects images for optimal printing and accurate color.
- Proofreads and modifies copy for correct spelling, formatting and layout. Verifies that customers’ requested changes have been made, as well as appropriate editorial style and format. Ensures adherence to University identity standards in addition to other applicable publishing guidelines.
- Utilizes software to electronically pre-flight, trap, impose and manage the production of electronic/digital files used for multiple equipment including computer-to-plate imagers, digital presses, digital black and white copiers, digital color copiers and wide-format printers.
- Prepares hardcopy proofs and electronic PDF proofs for customer review and internal use.
- Performs quality checks on proofs, completed plates and prints before delivery to pressroom or customer.
- Maintains records of job location during preparation/production and archives completed files for future use.
- Operates and maintains imaging equipment including computer-to-plate imagers, digital color copiers, and wide format printers. Makes minor repairs and adjustments as necessary. Determines if service technicians need to be contacted.
- Works directly with customers helping them to create and send useable files to the Printing Department.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of copyright laws and policies concerning reproduction of printed material.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and apply institutional and other policies appropriately.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students and the public.
- Ability to perform routine arithmetic computations.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Ability to use proper bending and lifting techniques to stock supplies or deliver items.
- Skill in operating and maintaining duplication equipment.
- Skill in utilizing computer software packages and online systems for document transfer and preparation.
- A general understanding of supporting software such as Adobe Creative Suite package and Quark Express page layout programs required.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Three years experience in the graphic arts and printing pre-press area, including one year experience using graphic arts software such as Adobe CS or Quark Express, and
- One year experience with offset or digital printing required.