Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 209
General Class Description
Under general supervision sets up, operates, maintains, and makes minor repairs on digital press equipment. Produces high-quality single through multicolored copies on various paper substrates; work is highly skilled and requires an eye for detail, may include static or variable data items such as brochures, posters, flyers, booklets, books, magazines, newsletters, etc. in one through multicolored job. Duties also involve the use of computers, servers, scanners, archiving systems, along with related software and technologies.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates and maintains digital press. Makes minor repairs and adjustments as necessary. Determines if service technicians need to be contacted.
- Utilizes computer system to enter job specifications. Monitors and maintains job production status within the system. Interprets job ticket information and enters job setup requirements into digital press.
- Performs image editing functions such as rotation, signature conversion, photo placement, crop, mask, imposition, step and repeat and related activities. Maintaining position register and consistent color and quality with maximum operating speed
- Prioritizes and schedules work, and adjusts production as required to accommodate customer deadlines and maintain operational efficiency.
- Monitors and maintains appropriate level of stock and supplies.
- Maintains records of daily production and other records related to processing orders.
- Operates and maintains various types of finishing and auxiliary equipment that is complimentary to the digital press.
- Work may include static or variable data items such as brochures, posters, flyers, booklets, books, magazines, newsletters, etc. in one through multicolored jobs.
- Proofs copy. Operator may consult with customer prior to running of job.
- Archives and retrieves digital documents from multiple sources.
- Performs routine system software and equipment maintenance to ensure optimal operation of equipment.
- May respond to customer inquiry regarding job production status, due dates, and production capabilities.
- Keeps informed and educated as required to take full advantage of software and hardware updates, as well as file management.
- Maintains machine adjustment and monitors color quality throughout press run.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and apply institutional and other policies appropriately.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students and the public.
- Ability to perform routine arithmetic computations.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in an extremely fast paced environment.
- Ability to maintain necessary records and prepare reports.
- Ability to use proper bending and lifting techniques when handling stock and supplies.
- General knowledge of postal regulations and sorting requirements.
- Skill in operating and maintaining color and quality control with digital presses.
- Skill in utilizing computer software packages, databases and online systems for document transfer and preparation as well as file management.
- Mechanical skills, knowledge of both offset production and digital equipment, skill in judging quality and making adjustments to maintain the equipment.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Three years experience in the graphic arts and printing production. Must include at least one year using graphic arts software such as Adobe CS or Quark Express, and one year experience with offset or digital printing.