Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 306
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, patrols assigned area on foot to ensure protection of students, faculty, staff and visitors, as well as property and equipment. Controls and monitors access in and out of university buildings and monitors burglar and fire alarm systems as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Checks buildings in assigned area for security and checks doors, windows, lights, and equipment. Records any damage for repairs and for criminal incidents.
- Reports disorderly or suspicious behavior of students and other people on campus and attempts to control the situation.
- Monitors fire extinguishers, other safety devices and signs for proper functioning. Reports irregularities or problems.
- Reports lights left on in buildings, turns outside lights on and off as directed, reports burned out building and street lights, and reports doors and locks that are not working properly.
- Keeps unauthorized personnel out of buildings after closing hours, controls access to areas based on assignments, maintains regular contact with other guards, and calls public safety officers in case of need.
- Responds to burglar and fire alarm panels to notify Public Safety personnel of location and problem recorded on the panel and controls the panel as directed by public safety supervisor.
- Locks and unlocks doors based on schedules and requests.
- Responds to questions and calls from people in the community to assist with directions, locations, and other service-oriented needs.
- Assists with traffic control as needed upon request of public safety supervisor.
- Assists Public Safety personnel as an assistant when called upon.
- Assists the parking department in writing citations as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid.
- Knowledge of portable fire extinguishers and their locations.
- Knowledge of the geography of the campus to which assigned.
- Skill in operating portable radio devices.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others both orally and in writing.
- Ability to walk and climb stairs.
- Ability to work outside in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to see and hear accurately in both day and nighttime conditions.
- Ability to comprehend numerous policies, procedures, concepts and to be able to respond using discretion and interpretive judgment based on general and specific policies.
- Ability to retain knowledge, information, and directions on an ongoing basis and communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to react appropriately in emergency situations.
- Two years experience in security and safety, or
- One year of post-high school education related to security and safety and one year of experience in security and safety, or
- Two years of post-high school education related to security and safety.
- Possession of appropriate driver's license as required.