Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 317
General Class Description
Under general supervision, exercises functional supervisory control over a unit of Police Officers and Trainees, Security Guards, and Public Safety Dispatchers as directed to ensure proper performance of duties. Provides back-up for other Public Safety staff at the scene of accidents and incidents.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors activities of subordinate staff by driving through their assigned zones on campus and by other means observing and reviewing their work. Reports violation of departmental policies to Lieutenant and recommends corrective action.
- Directs and instructs shift officers and explains departmental policies to subordinate staff. Provides the communication link from the Lieutenant and department administration to the Police Officers and back.
- Evaluates strengths and weaknesses of Police Officers for input into performance appraisals.
- May assume duties of the shift commander in the absence of the Lieutenant.
- Performs the duties of Police Officer.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of state criminal and traffic code, city ordinances, and Constitutional law.
- Skill in observing and reviewing the work of Police Officers.
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the duties of Security Guard, Police Officer, and Public Safety Dispatcher.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Possession of certification from the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy as a Law Enforcement Officer, or
- Possession of law enforcement certification in another state and successful completion of all application and examination requirements as outlined in Iowa Administrative Code 501-3.8(80B), and
- Two years experience at the Police Officer or equivalent level; or AA/AAS in Criminal Justice or Police Science or 60 semester hours/90 quarter hours from an accredited college or university and one year experience at the Police Officer or equivalent level.