Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 309
General Class Description
Under general supervision, provides communications of a public safety nature for university public safety and other departments and also for surrounding law enforcement agencies utilizing multi-frequency radio, teletype, telephone, TDD, and personal contact. Responsible for monitoring university emergency phones and burglar and fire alarm systems.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates a multi-frequency radio system in accordance with FCC regulations and completes a radio log and other records as required.
- Operates a multi-line telephone system providing emergency and business information. May be responsible for monitoring 911 phone system.
- Monitors radio traffic from surrounding local and state law enforcement agencies and relays information to patrol units.
- Dispatches duty personnel to requests for assistance or complaints.
- Receives and provides information to visitors, faculty, staff, and students.
- Notifies on-call personnel as required by departmental policy.
- Receives and relays emergency weather and road information to public safety officers and to other university departments and the university administration as required.
- Provides information to institutional public information services or outside news services on incidents and accident information as required.
- Monitors, updates, and relays information regarding building alarms.
- Operates a computer for the state crime computer network.
- Maintains voice communication tapes and applicable files and manuals for reference at public safety dispatch office.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the geography of the university campus.
- Knowledge of FCC regulations and public safety dispatching procedures.
- Skill in using equipment such as multi-frequency radio, teletype, telephone, TDD and computers.
- Skill in communicating with members of the public and departmental staff both orally and in writing.
- Ability to enter and retrieve data from a computer terminal, PC or other keyboard device.
- Ability to communicate effectively and coherently over law enforcement radio channels while initiating and responding to radio communications.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks at one time and to remain calm in stressful situations.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Any combination of clerical education or experience and/or college or university level course work which is equivalent to two years of full-time employment.