Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 405
General Class Description
Under the supervision of a staff member in the area, works directly with students in activities programmed by the supervisor. Duties require the ability to work with, show concern for, and present a positive example to impaired and multi-impaired children, and the ability to exercise responsible judgment in routine and emergency situations.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives oral and written instructions from immediate supervisor.
- Works with and services needs if children on a group or individual basis in personal, classroom, recreation, dormitory or busing activities.
- Knows child's location, special needs and interests, social development, school progress and/or family background, and confers with other teachers, assistants, houseparents, health staff and/or other staff regarding the child's welfare.
- Provides oral and written reports as requested or necessary for the welfare status of the students.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of basic principles and procedures of first aid.
- Ability to keep accurate, up-to-date records.
- Knowledge of emergency evacuation procedures.
- Knowledge of human behavior and needs of impaired children.