Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Class Title: SEWING MACHINE OPERATOR I
Class Code: 7751
Pay Grade: 403
Pay Grade: 403
General Class Description
Under direct supervision, sews by hand or machine.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Follows verbal and/or written instruction to make, alter, and mend materials for pillow covers, mattress covers, ironing board covers, laundry bags and other linen.
- Occasionally alters, mends and irons draperies.
- Operates various sewing machines.
- Makes minor repairs, oils and cleans machines.
- Keeps working area clean and orderly.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to troubleshoot, adjust, clean and oil sewing machines and related equipment.
- Ability to interpret oral and written instructions.
- Ability to mark material, determine where to cut, and how to fit, using measuring and other devices of the trade.
- Ability to safely operate and maintain sewing tools and machines.
- Ability to read, write and follow instructions.
- Ability to sit for long periods with continual movement of hands, arms and fingers.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of sewing in order to construct, alter, and mend a limited variety of items.
- One year of work experience in related or machine sewing or any combination of related education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities may be acquired.
Revision Effective: 1989-07-01
The tasks listed under the heading of Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities are examples of the variety and general nature of duties performed by employees in positions allocated in the class. The list is descriptive only and should be used for no other purpose. It is not intended that any position include every duty listed nor is it intended that related duties cannot be required.