Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 405
General Class Description
Under general supervision constructs draperies and/or uniforms; repairs, replaces, and alters draperies an uniforms. measures, write work tickets, and maintains related records.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Follows verbal and/or written instruction to make, alter, and mend materials for pillow covers, mattress covers, ironing board covers, laundry bags and other linen.
- Operates various sewing machines.
- Reads and interprets work tickets and drawings of work orders for sewing draperies for all dormitory areas including student rooms, lounges, offices, music rooms, lounges, offices, music rooms, library, dining rooms, etc.
- Operates commercial sewing machine and blind stitch machine, hand iron, and electric scissors to make draperies and uniforms using a variety of materials, e.g., cotton, rubberized lining, fiberglass, Naugahyde.
- Measures areas for draperies, estimated costs, and writes up work tickets.
- Maintains record of material received and check for color, texture, flaws, width, etc., according to job specifications and specifications for purchase of material.
- Alters, mends, irons, folds, and hangs draperies.
- Maintains a record of each dormitory with complete record of draperies made, repaired, and replaces including worksheets and patterns.
- Orders supplies as needed - thread, needles, hooks, weights, crinoline, distilled water, parts for machines, irons, cotton lining, etc.
- Keeps a record of material as it is cut with job number, size of panel, number of panels cut, bolt yardage. amount used, waste, flaws, etc.
- Makes, alters, and repairs cushion covers as required.
- Makes minor repairs, oils and cleans machines.
- Keeps working area clean and orderly.
- Fits, alters, makes and issues uniforms for personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to troubleshoot, adjust, clean and oil sewing machines and related equipment.
- Ability to interpret oral and written instructions.
- Ability to mark material, determine where to cut, and how to fit, using measuring and other devices of the trade.
- Ability to safely operate and maintain sewing tools and machines.
- Ability to read, write and follow instructions.
- Ability to sit for long periods with continual movement of hands, arms and fingers.
- Ability to maintain records of sewing projects and amounts of fabric and other supplies ordered and used.
- Knowledge of principles of mathematics in order to calculate fabric and other supplies necessary for project.
- Knowledge of techniques for altering and constructing uniforms, other garments and window coverings.
- One year of custom sewing experience in the complete construction and alteration of draperies and/or clothing or one year of post high school education in textiles and/or clothing construction or a combination of experience and education in the above to equal one year.