Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 407
General Class Description
Under general supervision assists in the design of and constructs draperies for unusual spaces, banners, tapestries, stage curtains, cornice boards, and other special projects requiring extensive knowledge of fabrics, fabric construction techniques and an understanding of design principles; assists in the design of and constructs projects for holidays and/or special events; performs repair work on cushions, chairs, sofas, etc. May functionally supervise lower level personnel.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the design and constructs special draperies and accessories for unusual spaces such as for curved windows, stage curtains, cornice boards and special projects; and assists in completing sketches for difficult window treatment areas.
- Constructs and assists in the design of banners and tapestries for special events and specific locations.
- Assists in the design and constructs projects for holiday decorations and/or special events.
- Makes, alters, repairs, and/or redesigns cushion covers for hard-to-fit furnishings.
- Makes patterns for special projects.
- May require supervision of other personnel to assign and coordinate work for special projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to troubleshoot, adjust, clean and oil sewing machines and related equipment.
- Ability to interpret oral and written instructions.
- Ability to mark material, determine where to cut, and how to fit, using measuring and other devices of the trade.
- Ability to safely operate and maintain sewing tools and machines.
- Ability to read, write and follow instructions.
- Ability to sit for long periods with continual movement of hands, arms and fingers.
- Ability to maintain records of sewing projects and amounts of fabric and other supplies ordered and used.
- Knowledge of principles of mathematics in order to calculate fabric and other supplies necessary for project.
- Knowledge of techniques for altering and constructing uniforms, other garments, window coverings and cushions.
- Ability to use judgment, preciseness, creativity, and concentration in accomplishing steps crucial to the overall appearance of the item constructed.
- Two years of custom sewing experience in the design, complete construction and alteration of draperies and/or clothing, or two years of post high school education in textiles and clothing construction or a combination of experience and post high school education in textiles and clothing construction to equal two years.