Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 504
General Class Description
Under direct supervision operates a telecommunications switchboard, either cord or console.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives and routes incoming calls and assists callers in locating desired party.
- Provides information to callers including telephone numbers, extensions, locations of individuals, organizations and institutional functions within established guidelines.
- Places telephone calls, local, intra-institutional and long distance, making proper connection to individual or department requested; and completes records to insure proper billing.
- Establishes multi-party conference calls as required.
- Operates associated communications equipment such as paging systems, tape records and other emergency equipment including civil defense and fire alarm equipment in the area.
- Within established guidelines handles emergency calls by contacting the proper personnel for assistance.
- Performs routine clerical duties associated with work such as incidental typing and recording of updated directory information as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate orally with all types of individuals in a variety of situations.
- Ability to keep accurate and up-to-date records.
- Knowledge of telecommunication systems and ability to operate the institutional system efficiently.
- Ability to interpret and execute oral and written instructions.