Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 109
General Class Description
Under general supervision, supervises telecommunications operators and directs the operation of the switchboard.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Interviews, recommends hiring and training Telecommunications Operators; reviews work and evaluates performance.
- Organizes and assigns work to insure that stations are covered at all times; maintains personnel and payroll records on operators.
- Evaluates and responds to emergency/urgent situations involving non-protocol questions posed to telecommunications operators.
- Contact telephone repair service to report telephone service malfunctions and general telephone and related equipment repair problems.
- Assists servicing personnel in locating troubles when needed.
- Maintains current telephone directory for institution or area services; maintains other records on telephone usage as directed.
- Assists in recommending changes for purchase of telephone or related equipment as required.
- Supervises and participates in the operation of the switchboard and other related communications equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to train, evaluate, supervise, schedule, and assign work to subordinate personnel.
- Ability to communicate orally with all types of individuals in a variety of situations.
- Ability to keep accurate and up-to-date records.
- Knowledge of telecommunication systems and ability to operate the institutional system efficiently.
- Ability to interpret and execute oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures.