Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 507
General Class Description
Under general supervision, supervises and directs mail room operations and assists in daily mail room tasks as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Interviews, recommends hiring, trains and directs mail center assistants in their daily work routine.
- Coordinates operations of mail rooms for fall, spring, summer sessions and during periods when facilities are closed.
- Directs the security, maintenance and repair of mail room at the end of each semester.
- Coordinates the setup for forwarding, change of address and delivery or pick up stations for nonacademic groups on campus, students and faculty.
- Handles problems related to mail center and acts as liaison for city post office and campus mail center.
- Directs preparation of mailbox combinations for each facility along with other necessary materials.
- Issues notices and other materials concerning mail room operations.
- Processes time sheet for mail room staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of institutional shipping and receiving procedures.
- Knowledge of postal regulations and reference sources.
- Skill in the operation of postal equipment such as scales and related machinery.
- Skill in using personal computers and online systems to access and verify data.
- Ability to convey oral and written instructions.
- Ability to recognize errors and check with appropriate source for clarification of problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to perform arithmetic computations.
- Ability to collect data, keep accurate records, and prepare reports.
- Ability to lead, train, and motivate employees.
- One year experience as a mail clerk or in position comparable thereto; or
- Any combination of post high school clerical training or clerical experience which totals two years.