Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 206
General Class Description
Under general supervision operates motor vehicle to transport personnel or materials. Uses judgment in the proper handling of cargo and determining priorities of assignments.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Reads work order to determine materials to be transported. Consults with person responsible for materials to be hauled in order to determine special needs. Verifies load with suppliers against order request.
- Loads and unloads cargo including hazardous materials or sensitive instrument. Secures cargo using chains, rubberized straps, padding to prevent damage.
- Assembles furniture or exhibits.
- Services vehicles, both interior and exterior, including cleaning and washing with power equipment, refueling and other minor items of vehicle maintenance as required.
- Performs as a Laborer when not driving.
- Responds to calls for emergency service, including snow removal, as required.
- May require occasional in-state and out-of-state overnight travel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to lift up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to read, write, follow instructions and communicate orally.
- Ability to operate moving equipment such as pallet movers and forklifts.
- Ability to make sounds judgments and decisions.
- Ability to safely operate and insure proper maintenance of vehicles.
- Knowledge of proper loading/securing techniques for specialized cargo.
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations governing operation of state vehicles.
- Knowledge of motor vehicle laws.
- One year experience driving trucks.
- Possession of the class (class A, B, C or D) of drivers license appropriate to vehicle driven and/or materials transported.