Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 413
General Class Description
Under general supervision, assists with planning and designing tasks required with renovation projects; aids in directing renovation projects underway and maintains campus maps, drawings, specifications, and like materials relating to facilities.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- In consultation with clients, determines building renovations desired; examines mechanical plans and physical structure for financial feasibility; completes drawing of sketches and arranges layout plans for client's approval, prepares final working drawings and job specifications and forwards same to trade shops for cost estimates or to contractor for bidding.
- Assists in direction of work connected with renovation projects underway, completes revised plans; obtains estimates on revisions and renders general consultative services as required.
- Aids in completing final inspection on renovation projects; follows up on work assignments pending and advises as to acceptance or rejection of projects.
- Assists in reviewing and checking of drawings for new construction with related specifications; confers with consulting architect concerning conditions in question and follows up on same as required or directed.
- Serves as construction inspector in absence of regularly assigned personnel.
- Maintains files containing campus maps, drawings, specifications and like materials relating to renovation projects and new construction; inventories and reorders drawing supplies and materials and completes like miscellaneous duties as required and directed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to read and understand architectural and engineering plans and specifications.
- Ability to ascertain specific needs of clients and prepare necessary drawings and specifications.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with clients.
- Ability to accurately perform mathematical calculations.
- Knowledge of standards, specifications, and special provisions unique to the Regent system as a whole or to an individual institution.
- Ability to maintain an accurate system of records.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques used in the construction and building trades fields.
- Four years experience in related architectural drafting work or a combination of experience and post high school architectural or engineering training totaling four years.