Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 306
General Class Description
Under general supervision, performs duties required to protect property and provide for the safety of personnel as required by orders of the United States Department of Energy.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Patrols and inspects buildings for compliance with federal, state, and local safety and security regulations. Reports irregularities to appropriate personnel.
- Provides immediate response to fire, security, chemical or medical emergencies. May be called upon to administer first aid and rescue procedures until appropriate personnel arrive.
- Checks security of buildings in assigned area. Records and reports damaged/inoperative windows, lights or equipment.
- Tours assigned areas. Checks electronic reporting stations and reports water leaks, gas leaks, fires, or other hazards. Keeps unauthorized personnel out of buildings after hours. Keeps in touch with other Plant Safety Patrol Officers and contacts local law enforcement agencies when required.
- Monitors plant protection system (JC-85) for indications of fire and security incidents. Dispatches the appropriate personnel to incident site.
- Inspects, maintains, tests, and replaces fire extinguishers, fire blankets, self-contained breathing apparatus, communications systems, safety signs and first aid installations. Maintains records of inspections.
- Installs fire extinguishers in accordance with NFPA standards. Sets up fire extinguisher equipment for periodic training of personnel and participates in training sessions.
- Participates in fire, tornado, and emergency response drills. Ensures buildings are appropriately evacuated and proper emergency procedures are followed.
- Maintains inventory of vehicle, building, and room keys. Verifies authorization of personnel and checks out keys to appropriate personnel. Maintains records of key issuance.
- Collects, sorts, delivers, and forwards U.S. and campus mail. Assists Ames Laboratory personnel with mailing procedures. Maintains forwarding files and records of accountable mail.
- Gives directions to visitors. Makes announcements on the public address system.
- Provides assistance to other Ames Laboratory departments, i.e., monitors personnel working in remote and unusual areas such as utility accesses or provides courier service.
- Performs vehicle maintenance checks.
- The tasks listed under the heading of Characteristic
Duties and Responsibilities are examples of the variety and general nature
of duties performed by employees in positions allocated in the class. The
list is descriptive only and should be used for no other purpose. It is
not intended that any position include every duty listed, nor is it intended
that related duties cannot be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of OSHA, NFPA, EPA, USDOE, and other federal, state, and local regulations, guidelines, or policies pertaining to safety and security.
- Knowledge of appropriate lifting methods and other health/safety measures.
- Knowledge of procedures for testing emergency equipment.
- Knowledge of first aid and rescue procedures.
- Skill in operating computers.
- Skill in operating radios and public address system
- Skill in recording data and information accurately.
- Skill in operating a motor vehicle and emergency equipment.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain records.
- Ability to work in an environment with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, heat and cold.
- Ability to lift/move objects weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to walk six miles per day.
- Ability to climb stairs.
- Ability to differentiate between various audible and visual alarms.
- Ability to react appropriately in emergency situations.
- Two years experience in security and safety, or
- A combination of education and experience which provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Possession of a valid Iowa driver’s license.