Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 308
General Class Description
Under general supervision, coordinates the activities of and provides functional supervision to Plant Safety Patrol Officers in order to protect property and provide for the safety of personnel as required by orders of the United States Department of Energy.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Trains Plant Safety Patrol Officers on the usage of equipment, emergency response procedures, how to conduct tours, and departmental procedures.
- Prepares schedules and calendars and maintains records for the assigned shift.
- Assigns tasks to Plant Safety Patrol Officers. Assesses accuracy and thoroughness of special assignments and safety and security tours.
- Reports to the oncoming Plant Safety Patrol Sergeant any change in status of the Plant Protection System (JC-85) and any other pertinent security or safety information.
- Receives and reviews for accuracy reports concerning fire, safety, and security discrepancies and forwards to Environmental Safety and Health for resolution.
- Makes recommendations for improving overall safety and security of the facilities to administration.
- Performs duties of Plant Safety Patrol Officer as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of OSHA, NFPA, EPA, USDOE, and other federal, state, and local regulations, guidelines, or policies pertaining to safety and security.
- Knowledge of appropriate lifting methods and other health/safety measures.
- Knowledge of procedures for testing emergency equipment.
- Knowledge of first aid and rescue procedures.
- Skill in operating computers.
- Skill in operating radios and public address system.
- Skill in recording data and information accurately.
- Skill in operating a motor vehicle.
- Ability to deal with changing requirements.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain records.
- Ability to work in an environment with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, heat and cold.
- Ability to lift/move objects weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to walk six miles per day.
- Ability to climb stairs.
- Ability to differentiate between various audible and visual alarms.
- Ability to react appropriately in emergency situations.
- Ability to train subordinates in methods of operation.
- Ability to assign tasks by determining priority of needs.
- Ability to make decisions quickly.
- Ability to apply principles of supervision to various situations.
- Ability to handle several situations and problems simultaneously.
- Four years experience in security and safety, or
- A combination of education and experience which provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities which includes two years of experience at the level of Plant Safety Patrol Officer.
- Possession of a valid Iowa driver’s license.