Classification and Compensation
IOWA STATE BOARD OF REGENTS
REGENTS MERIT SYSTEM
Pay Grade: 507
General Class Description
Under general supervision, assists professional staff members in organizing, directing, coordinating, and presenting educational programs for specifically identified audiences. Assigns work and provides training for lower level staff and volunteers as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Advises clientele on a wide variety of farm, family or community issues and may provide or identify sources of appropriate information and education. Issues may include crop production practices, livestock production practices, marketing practices, community resources utilization, consumer education, family planning, energy conservation, or other topics.
- Conducts training and reviews work of other Extension Program Assistants.
- Assists professional staff in implementing work assignments of Extension Program Assistants I and II as assigned; may assist in the development and revision of procedures and in other ways assists in the resolution of problems.
- Assists professional Extension staff in the planning and evaluation of educational program efforts; accepting responsibility for the implementation of the planned activity or segments of program activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Knowledge of issues and facts relating to the educational program.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic skills, i.e., addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, fractional numbers, decimals, etc.
- Knowledge of human development.
- Skill in utilizing time management in order to complete job activities.
- Skill in advising clientele, analyzing related issues, and assisting in problem resolution.
- Ability to read, understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to keep accurate records.
- Ability to communicate with a variety of people.
- Ability to transport educational materials necessary for the job to the seminar site.
- Ability to train and assign work to other Extension Program Assistants.
- Ability to recruit volunteers and clients.
- Two years experience as an Extension Program Assistant II, or
- One year experience as an extension Program Assistant II and one year of post high school education in a related field, or
- Four years of related experience.
- Requires ability to travel to various locations in order to conduct extension educations programs.