Disability Accommodation

General Information


Individuals with physical or mental impairments who are otherwise qualified to perform their work or pursue their studies may request reasonable accommodations to enable them to work or continue their studies. The Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, and Iowa's Civil Rights Act enables covered individuals to receive accommodations so long as the accommodations are reasonable and do not cause an undue hardship or fundamentally alter an academic program. An individual's specific request for accommodation may not necessarily be granted if there are other effective means of achieving the same result. Individuals must communicate with university personnel to identify reasonable, effective accommodations. In all instances, documentation will be required to substantiate the need for an accommodation.

For students, you must contact Student Disability Resources at the Academic Success Center to initiate the accommodation process.

For employees, you should inform your supervisor of your need for workplace accommodation. If you or your supervisor require additional assistance, contact University Human Resources or the Office of Equal Opportunity.

Inquiries regarding ergonomics may be directed to Environmental Health and Safety.

Modified Religious Accommodation Statement

In January of 2008, the Senate of the Government of the Student Body presented a resolution to the Faculty Senate, Graduate and Professional Student Senate, the Office of Equal Opportunity, and the Dean of Students Office. The resolution asked that the absences and religious observances procedure and policy be modified to include specific language regarding the impact of this policy on students and faculty.

The resolution was approved by and finalized by the Provost, Equal Opportunity and University Legal Counsel. The policy below is the result of great collaboration.

Iowa State University welcomes diversity of religious beliefs and practices, recognizing the contributions differing experiences and viewpoints can bring to the community. There may be times when an academic or work requirement conflicts with religious observances and practices. If that happens, students and employees may request reasonable accommodation of their religious practices. In all cases, you must put your request in writing. The instructor or supervisor will review the situation in an effort to provide a reasonable accommodation when possible to do so without fundamentally altering a course or creating an undue burden for the instructor, supervisor, or department.

For students, you should first discuss the conflict and your requested accommodation with your professor at the earliest possible time. You or your instructor may also seek assistance from the Dean of Students Office or the Office of Equal Opportunity.

For employees, you should inform your supervisor of the conflict and your requested accommodation at the earliest possible time. You or your supervisor may also seek assistance from Human Resources Services or the Office of Equal Opportunity.

For students and employees, it is advisable to confront any potential conflicts as early as possible rather than waiting until the deadline or event is upon you, leaving everyone little time to plan and consider alternatives in a comprehensive way. For students, this can be accomplished as soon as you receive the course syllabus. If an accommodation is given, students and employees may be required to complete coursework or work assignments in advance of an absence, which further demonstrates the need to address the conflict early.

Instructors and employers should be aware that the time needed for a student's or an employee's accommodation may extend beyond the length of the religious observation itself, including for the purposes of travel or to complete missed coursework or work assignments. Instructors and employers should also be aware that religious observances can vary widely not only between religions, but within them as well, which may call for different kinds of accommodation.

If any student or employee feels that he or she has been discriminated against because of religion, he or she may contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and/or file a complaint under the Discrimination and Harassment policy.

Modified Religious Accommodation Statement (PDF)

Disability Accommodation Flowchart

Disability Accommodation Request

Documentation of Disability